A fresh and delicious take on the classic tomato soup, this recipe is simple to make and enjoyed by all. Enjoy this recipe courtesy of Lauren Lane. You can find this recipe and more from Lauren at lauren-lane.com.
Roasted Tomato Soup by Lauren Lane
Published on June 8, 2020 | By Logan Rohlf |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Cervasi olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste (optional)
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz) Cervasi canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 c. of fresh basil roughly chopped (or one clamshell package in the produce section)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, stemmed and chopped
- 1 qt chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together the tomatoes, onions, 1/3 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the onions and tomatoes in 1 layer on 1 or 2 baking sheets. Roast for 35-45 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- While tomatoes and onions are roasting, sauté the garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes in a large pot until fragrant (you do not want the garlic to brown). Add the canned tomatoes, thyme, and chicken stock. Simmer on low.
- When the tomatoes and onions are done roasting, pour them into the pot. (Be sure to include liquid and bits from the baking sheet.) Add the basil and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Place soup in high powered mixer, food mill or immersion blender and blend until smooth.